Paoli Memorial Hospital - Meeting the Needs of A Growing Community
While Paoli Memorial Hospital has served Paoli and its surrounding communities since 1968, its history really began in 1913 as the Homeopathic Hospital of Chester County, a bricked-over farmhouse in West Chester. In 1945, the hospital was renamed to Memorial Hospital in honor of those who served in World War II. When the hospital became too small and in need of repair, the board of directors decided to relocate the hospital to its current site in Paoli. The new facility opened on September 21, 1968 and was renamed Paoli Memorial Hospital.
Throughout its history, Paoli Memorial Hospital has been a leader in providing excellent healthcare to our community. It is this excellence and sensitivity reflected in the care provided by our nurses, physicians, health professionals, the Auxiliary and community volunteers that sets all Main Line Health member institutions apart.
Thanks to the efforts of the Paoli Memorial Hospital Auxiliary and its Community Health Department a national program to provide identification for children riding in car seats was brought to Chester County this past year. Supported in cooperation with local police departments in Chester County, WHALE (We Have A Little Emergency) stickers are attached to the sides of the safety seat and the vehicle's rear side windows to alert emergency personnel that the occupants participate in the program.
In 1999 Paoli Memorial Hospital's Orthopedic Program was ranked among the nation's 100 Top Hospitals; Orthopedic Benchmarks for Success by the HCIA and The Health Network for medium-sized non-teaching hospitals. The hospital itself was awarded the 100 Top Hospitals; Regional Benchmarks for Success for the mid-Atlantic Region.
Paoli Memorial is also a leader in comprehensive cancer care. Along with the other Main Line Health acute care hospitals of Bryn Mawr and Lankenau, Paoli Memorial was awarded a Community Clinical Oncology Program (CCOP) designation by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), one of 51 designated in the United States. As an affiliate of the Fox Chase Cancer Center, the hospital has access to investigational and prevention trials, and provides education and risk counseling for women with a family history of breast cancer.
The hospital also opened the first IMPaCT Unit (Interdisciplinary Model Patient Centered Team) in 1993, bringing the first completed patient focused unit to the region. This innovative approach to care places the patient at the center of a streamlined team effort, bringing physicians, nurses and technical support services together to treat and care for patients.
In 1995, the new Family Centered Maternity Unit opened to meet the needs of the community's growing young families. Only five years later, the unit's success has created the need to plan for expansion.
These major programs - the orthopedic service, the Cancer Center, Maternity Unit, and redesign of the patient care units - would not have been possible without the help and generous support of the Auxiliary and our community. The dedicated members of the Auxiliary help Paoli Memorial Hospital serve its community through their many efforts in non-profit businesses and special fund raising events. They invite you to join. For more information, please call the Auxiliary office at 610-648-1448.
Main Line Health, formed in January 1985, consists of three acute care hospitals, Bryn Mawr, Lankenau and Paoli Memorial; Bryn Mawr Rehab; Main Line Clinical Laboratories; Great Valley Health, a primary care network; the Wayne Center, a skilled nursing facility; and Mid County Senior Services. In 1996, Main Line Health partnered with Thomas Jefferson University Hospital to become a founding member of Jefferson Health System.